Sunday, September 20, 2009

Future Plans to Host DigitalAddict on a Home Server.



Since the launch of Digital Addict I’ve been looking into how websites are hosted, who hosts them and the average price to have space on a server. I have been looking around the interwebs and found plenty of sits that allow inexpensive hosting. I’ve also found hosts that have every option in the book available for premium loot $$$.

DA (DigitalAddict) Isn’t a huge site right now... but I plan to grow it larger. I’d like to implement features like membership and personal profile pages, a message board, a live chatroom, possibly DigitalAddict gear like t-shirts and mouse pads, who knows.

I’ve been looking at mostly going the Apache server route. It’s free open source software that allows you to convert any computer hooked up to the web to be a server. This would be a great route, depending on the computers capabilities, to have control of your own server and not be at the mercy of some third party server.



While looking around I found an Interesting article about using your iPhone as a web server! Now the size of the site that you could possible host would be pretty small and to keep it functional wouldn’t consist of anything more than some text and maybe some emotioncons. Though the iPhone server wouldn’t really be practical for what I’m aspiring to create, it is still a cool option that I plan to host something off my phone. At&t hates me already since my iPhone is hacked and I use my “unlimited” internet access tethered to my laptop all the time, stealing some more bandwidth from them would be pretty cool.



Now for a more practical idea. I’ve noticed a trend with hosting were the server is a Mac Mini. Being an Apple fan, when I saw this was possible and actually really easy to setup. I began fantasizing about having an intel based mac mini with about 500gb and 2-4gb ram. not stopping there though, the thought of having an iOmega 2Tb mini drive stacked on top of the mini.... an Apple Airport Extreme. Since they all have the same footprint a tower of them would take up less space than any pc tower.

No comments:

Post a Comment